Thursday 5 November 2009

I will not let people forget me: Rekha

I will not let people forget me: Rekha

November 5, 2009


It’s been a while since we’ve seen the Hudugata hudugi in a full-fledged role on the big screen.

It seems that Rekha has become just another pretty face in Sandalwood, with a minuscule role in Raj… The Showman and a song in the recently released Yogi — Appu Fan.

But the actress takes all this in her stride. “I’ve already made a mark in the Kannada film industry. Even if I do a walking shot, a two-minute role, or a song sequence, people will recognise me. I won’t allow them to forget me. I do these roles as favours to friends and that gives me a different high,” Rekha tells BT.

Did the actress shift to Mumbai because she wasn’t able to get the right kind of roles in Sandalwood? “Frankly, Mumbai has become a priority for people in the Kannada film industry. Once they finalise a project, they catch a flight to B-town to look for heroines. So, actually, it doesn’t matter where we work from,” she says.

Rekha is in town to promote her long-pending release, Parichaya, which was ready last November. Why the year-long delay? “We actors don’t make any kind of financial investment in the film. We just act in it. I don’t want to interfere in the business aspect of film-making,” she asserts, adding, “Only in Sandalwood do we see films that are released soon after they’re shot. The Telugu film, Magadheera, for instance, took around two years to release. So, all that matters is that the end result should be good.”

In anticipation of Parichaya’s success, Rekha has made up her mind to complete the shoot for a song in the Darshan-starrer Boss by next week. “This is another film that’s been jinxed for some time. But I don’t want to hurt anybody. I’ll complete my bit,” she says.

But she’s superstitious about talking about her next projects and her probable Bollywood debut. “I’m almost there now. But I’ll talk about the film once I sign it,” says Rekha.

No comments:

Post a Comment