Thursday 8 July 2010

Asin slams Tamil political groups

Asin slams Tamil political groups

July 8, 2010



Asin is caught in yet another fracas. The actress is shooting for a Bollywood film Ready with Salman Khan in Sri Lanka. And in Chennai, certain political groups are up in arms against her for being in Colombo.

Asin said, "I'm truly upset that certain political groups in Tamil Nadu are targetting me for my decision to shoot a film in Sri Lanka."

The actress asked, "How can I be targetted for this decision? Ready was supposed to be shot in Mauritius, Thailand and then, Goa. Till a few days before the shoot, I didn't even know the final destination. When I heard it was Sri Lanka, I did express my concern to the producer and the director. While they understood my predicament, they too couldn't change the shooting location because things had already been planned.

The actress, who has completed three schedules for the Tamil film Kavalkaaran with Vijay, is genuinely concerned about having to face the ire of certain political groups when she visits Tamil Nadu for the next schedule. "Art should not be politicised and actors shouldn't be made to bear the brunt of political animosity because we are truly ambassadors of peace. I'm making an effort to reach out to the troubled Tamil community in Sri Lanka; and I think by being in their midst, I'm bringing a smile to their faces. I just hope others see this as a peace-building exercise," she said.

Asin added that actors aren't the only ones who are trying to build bridges. "On an average, there are six flights connecting Chennai to Colombo every day. Our cricket team visits Lanka, too. Then why is it that when an actor comes to shoot in Sri Lanka, people start some kind of propaganda?" asked the actress. (GUL)

No comments:

Post a Comment